The aim of this course is to provide academics with a full understanding of the academic publishing process in order to enable them to plan their research output strategically and to publish their work more successfully. It is aimed at scholars of all levels in the social sciences and humanities.
Concretely, the participants will learn how to identify and approach suitable destination publishers; how to develop book proposals and how to prepare and submit journal articles to top-ranked journals; how to navigate peer review processes and contract negotiations; and how to effectively market articles and books post-publication. We will also shed light on the effects of the digital turn in publishing (e-books, Open Access, self publishing, social media marketing …), highlighting the opportunities and dangers these new developments contain for authors.
The workshop gives both newcomers and seasoned authors an inside view of the business processes within academic publishing. Participants are expected to actively partake in writing exercises and group discussions between presentation sequences.
- What is a successful publication?
- Why publish in English?
II. Basics of Academic Publishing
- How to find the most suitable publisher
- Journals vs. books
- How to find the most suitable journal
- Journal Metrics, Impact Factors, Open Access, etc.
- Predatory journals & how to evaluate a publisher/journal
- Submitting a journal article the right way
- The book proposal
- Book publication roadmap and book contracts
III. The Peer Review Process
- Why and how, Dos and Don’ts
- Top 10 reasons for rejections
IV. Titles and Abstracts
- How to create a great title
- Writing an abstract
V. Publishing Practicalities
- Co-Authorship, Plagiarism, etc.
- Maximize your article’s impact
VI. Publication Workout
- Group discussion of your publishing solution
This course aims to enable participants to successfully publish their English language articles in academic journals. It will create an understanding of the publication process of peer reviewed journals. We will develop individual strategies for the writing and publishing of research articles in the English language. Key topics include:
- planning publications strategically
- criteria for journal selection (impact factors, rejection rates, publication schedules, Open Access, …)
- how to choose a great title and write the perfect abstract
- the peer review system: stakeholders, processes, benefits, criticism
- and much more.
Participants are expected to actively partake in writing exercises and group discussions between presentations sequences. Power Point slides of the presentation will be made available after the workshop.
© pixabay 2018 / Foto: Igor Saveliev
Auf der Grundlage jahrzehntelanger Verlagsarbeit erläutert Barbara Budrich die Verlagsperspektive auf wissenschaftliches Publizieren und gibt Promovierenden und Postdocs Tipps: von konzeptionellen Überlegungen über Vertragsfragen bis hin zu Marketingstrategien. Die Teilnehmenden werden nach dem Workshop konkret wissen, wie sie die Veröffentlichung ihrer Dissertation angehen, welche Publikationsform die beste, welcher Verlag der passende ist und wann sie welche Schritte dafür vornehmen sollten.
© pixabay 2019 / Foto: wokandapix